Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Phenomenology Pt. 1

Today in theory we discussed phenomenology and its meaning. It's how things exist subjectively (rather than objectively) that really matters. We used the example...."When i go to an interview my job is to.." My job is to maintain a meaning of positive feedback from my interviewee's, in this case the juvenile. As I prepare to start my interviews within the next week, I look for different meaning(s) to bring with me. This may include a plan to make the juvenile feel comfortable around me, allowing them to tell their story. I could start with my personal experience of being involved with crime, and how I was able to turn it into a positive experience and land me a college scholarship. Overall, I want to have some type of "game-plan" to follow as i begin my interviews.

1 comment:

  1. Good, Jim. The influence of phenomenological theory on your interview task should be that you become especially aware of how you're creating a comfortable relationship with the subject. So, you can first cite phenomeological theory, like Berger and Luckmann, then describe things you do or say that might seem to be peripheral to the main task, but are actually important for establishing trust and rapport.

    ReplyDelete