Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Salvation Army

Every Centenary student who plans on graduating must complete a service-learning requirement. This semester I am working with the Salvation army and The Boy's and Girl's Club to complete this requirement. Today was my first day and KC (head of development) gave me a little history behind the salvation army. The two shelters in the Shreveport-Bossier area serves some 5,000 meals twice daily. They are in great need of volunteers and were happy to have me for my 30 hours needed. Their is a large population of Shreveport-Bossier that depends on non-profit organization's, like the salvation army, for shelter and food. During the hours i worked today, i met with a majority of the children who arrive at the Boy's and Girl's club after school. The children are all african american and from low-income families. I look forward to working with these children and volunteering my services to this great organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment